After the WWII, Elmer entered the auto repair industry as a mechanic. And in 1958 he opened Elmer’s Garage in Lynwood, CA and in 1971 he relocated to city of Bellflower.
In 1959 Elmer joined the Independent Garage Owners Association (IGO), which later became the Automotive Service Councils of California (ASCCA).
This was a group that aided shop owners in getting health insurance and business insurance. It also became a great resource venue for discussing the problems of running an independent repair shop and gaining education on new and upcoming equipment with other shop owners at monthly dinner meetings.
Elmer was very active in his local Unit/Chapter. He belonged to Unit #9 which later became Chapter 1. He served many years as a Board member, as well as a member of the Executive Board, and served several terms as President, Secretary and Treasurer. Throughout his career, his wife Marilyn not only helped him with his duties that went along with these elected positions but worked side by side with him in the shop repairing cars.
Elmer retired in 1992. He would be honored to have his name attached to a scholarship to assist others in continuing the work he began so long ago.